© The Oban Times
Thursday, 17 September, 1998
By SUE PAGAN
IN A SERVICE of thanksgiving and remembrance for those who
survived the massacre of Glencoe and returned in de Autumn of 1692 a stone which has
become part of the history of that Glen was dedicated.
The Henderson Stone was used by the legendary pipers of Glencoe, when they found, that in certain weather conditions, the more well known Signal Rock was not suitable for the messages sent by the pipes throughout the townships.
For hundreds of years the stone lay neglected and almost forgotten, marked with graffiti until about seven years ago when the idea of clearing round the stone and making it more accessible was mooted.
But it was not until Miss Jean Henderson of Skye, determined to see that the stone recognised, took on the task, that the Henderson Stone was made available for her fellow clanspeople to visit and remember from all round the world.
It is perhaps not widely known that the Henderson Clan inhabited Glencoe for a long time before the Macdonalds settled there. They too fled on that terrible night in February in 1692.
Unfortunately, the Clan Chieftain Dr. John Henderson of Fordell, was too frail to leave his home in Australia to be at the ceremony, but his son and heir, Alisdair Henderson the younger of Fordell, was able to be there along with many other members of the Clan.
Southport based piper, Joe Henderson played the lament "Peoples of this Glen".
The Episcopalian Bishop of Argyll and the Isles Duncan Cameron dedicated the stone, Monsignor Roddy MacDonald gave the reading, the Moderator of the Presbytery of Lochaber, Klaus Buwert, led the Lord´s Prayer and Mrs. Morag Henderson, Portree, was precentor in song and Gaelic praisé. Standing close to the stone, Southport-based piper Joe Henderson played "Peoples of this Glen" and listening to the clear notes hanging on the air, it was possible to imagine how the folk from Invercoe to Achtriochtan would hear the lament.
Back to the index